Thread: Ubuntu not upgrading to 24.04

Beans

Ubuntu not upgrading to 24.04

Hello everyone, I'm trying to update my ubuntu from 23.10 to 24.04, but I get message no new release found. Idon't know why I get this error, because it's after april 25. Can you help me please?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu not upgrading to 24.04

24.04 has just been released for fresh installs. The upgrade path from the preceding release is normally opened in the next week, but delays of a few weeks are common. This is because, after the new release itself, the upgrade process must be properly debugged. The upgrade path from the preceding LTS release is normally opened after three months, to allow for additional debugging of the new LTS release. Users of LTS releases expect a stable system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

At this moment, if you do
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    Then it should find it.

As I remember (don't quote me), the reasoning for this, only the day of, or a few days after a release, is that the focus on testing of the Dev releases are on new installs. Once the release is released, then they bless the upgrade path, which takes about a week to sign off on that. So for about a week or so, the Release Upgrade Path" is still considered as still being in the "Development" Cycle stage. As being active as "a Tester" in Dev Cycles, I don't think "we" were ever asked to test the upgrade path itself. It's my understanding that the Canonical Developers do that themselves.

Even though I do Dev Testing in the Dev Cycles... And I have it installed natively on at least one machine here... I usually wait one or two weeks after the LTS release before upgrading my main machines and servers to that release. That gives the Dev's time to work things out for that. At least, that is what I have followed over the past 14 years with that. I know some others here, who are more cautious, and wait until the first LTS point release to upgrade theirs.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This link gives a powerful reason not to force an upgrade to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS at the moment.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2024/04/...untu-24-04-yet

Right now there are major bugs impacting direct upgrades from earlier versions. We’re talking “your system may become unrecoverable” type issues. Snafus stem from the switch to Thunderbird snap1 (on installs with the DEB installed upgrading to 24.04 replaces it with the snap) and the complicated tangle of Y2028 time_t transitions2 (anyone who used daily builds will be familiar with the pain they caused).
    Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I'll provide a link to an answer I wrote elsewhere if you want more.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1511...511642#1511642

It contains the link for nobleupgrades, why your system doesn't see the upgrade, and most importantly the release status page for checking how safe/problematic forcing it will be.

Ubuntu and all flavors use the same Ubuntu Release Upgrader code, so the upgrade will be trigger by the same process I vagely cover in my answer (the question related to Kubuntu - but it applies to Ubuntu Desktop/Server & all flavors).